Read this Blog in any Language - Refresh for English

Finding Free Stuff Online: Help Yourself

Sunday, May 9, 2010

How to Learn Language and Cultural Difference - East and West

The communication skills are very much needed when we learn about the
language and cultural differences between east and west.

For example, in west the statement is made like this:

"I'm not a religious person," he says.

Now, the active and passive voice in narration (the direct and
indirect speech) gives such a drastic difference that one can easily
understand why there are so many controversies and conflicts in what
one says from east and west.

The western person puts the indirect voice of the above statement:

("I'm not a religious person," he says.)

As: He says that he is not a religious person.

Now, the ambiguity or irony in the east is that it is said in indirect form as:

"(Active form is: I'm not a religious person," he says.)

He says that I am not a religious person. (Here "I" is for the person,
who is telling or saying it!)

Now, in speech it is always said in this way.

He and she as the nouns are always said as "I" when third person is
quoted saying it.

For example:

"John is my friend," he says.

He says that John is his friend (western style)

He says that John is my friend (eastern style).

Similarly,

"He is my father," she says.

She says that he is her father. (western style)

She says that he is my father. (eastern style).

Now, if we hear or view any audio or video saying anything in which
one quotes "I" as subject may be totally wrong and can be tempered in
such a way as if a true confession, even though it is totally wrong.

So, when we hear or view or even read eastern languages and use of
word "I" in such context, we need to be aware that anyone can misuse
such language and cultural difference as a perfect witness and thus
confession, which many people in the west can believe immediately not
knowing that it is not at all true or evidence.

Thus, there so many other points in which we need to learn the
indirect speech in its true context in the eastern way, otherwise
anyone can fool you by taping,recording and tempering the audios and
videos or even the written words.

I remember writing a thanks letter to one of my good friend, who used
to teach me music for sometime. I wrote that the soul the teacher is
good. In the eastern context, we simply say that teacher is equivalent
to master or guru and the soul of such people, when or if they are
artists is pure soul due to art with which they are blessed.

Someone tempered and presented this letter as if I am in love with my
teacher. It gave such a bad meaning that only God knows what happens
afterward. It almost became an evidence or proof that I am a fraud or
cheater. Thus, respect, appreciation and honor in east in not of body,
but the soul. This the way to salute with feelings of reverence.

I spoke the similar words of reverence to another girl in Australia,
she thought that I loved her and she proposed me for marriage very
seriously. I had explain her through many elaborating letters that we
the eastern and particularly Indians do not mean that feelings of
reverence has anything to do with such mistakenly understood meaning
of words, written or spoken. She realized it and never asked me for
another clarification, we still interact as brother and sister.

So, it needs attention as we are discussing and if you have any such
experience please share. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

iNeedSell.com - complimentary live ads. A place to Purchase, Advertise and Trade

Free Online Earning Resources: *NetAudioAds with AdSense*CHITIKA* MORENICHE* CLICKBNAK* DREAMHOST* HOSTROCKET * SITECUBE* CBCLICKBANK* CROCMINT* WORLDNICHE * AFFILIATEBOT* GETACODER * TRIALPAY* MARKETHEALTH* HERBALBIZ* SHAREASALE* SALEHOO* LINKSHARE* LIFEDYNAMIX* REALADVENTURES* HEALTHYWEALTHYNWISE* AISO* AMAZON* LINKSHARE* BIDVERTISER* AFFILIATESHOWCASE* FREESITESIGNUP*

I'm learning about:Real Estate Investing Course for Foreclosures.




Get Chitika | Premium


Links | Free Domains for Earning | Earn from Free | Free Earning for Blogs-Webs |
Use Free Domains for Blogs, Online Stores, Websites and AdSense CO.CC:Free Domain
| How to Manage Teen and Youth Concerns | Free Scholarships |
How to Help Youth - 1 | How to Help Youth - 2 | How to Help Youth NOT to CRY